Bourbon is a type of American Whiskey, it is a distilled spirit that is primarily made from corn and aged in barrels. Bourbon takes its name from Bourbon County, Kentucky, where it originated. Bourbon can be made anywhere in the USA but it is strongly associated with the state of Kentucky. Bourbon has several legal requirements for it to be made for US consumption.
Bourbon must be:
- Made from a grain mixture that must be at least 51% corn
- Distilled to no more than 160 proof and 80% ABV.
- Aged in new charred-oak barrels
- Entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof or 62.5% ABV.
- It must be bottled at 80 proof or more or 40% ABV.
Bourbon has no minimum age requirements.